Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Waiting for fall...


Every year about this time I get antsy for fall to arrive. I pull out all of my favorite Halloween movies (yes they are mostly children's movies) and start roasting, braising, and baking. Fall is my favorite time of year, and it just can't get here fast enough for me. So maybe if I hurry it along...

I wanted to share this recipe. It is from the cooking school that we used to have at the kitchen store that I work at. I know, very sad that they closed the school portion, but we have been left with some excellent recipes from some very talented chefs. And a lot of good memories.

This is probably the best butternut squash soup that I have tasted. There are a few ingredients that you might question, but trust me... it works, and it's delicious!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 medium red onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (preferably 1 1/2 tsp. fresh)
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. dried basil (preferably 1 1/2 tsp. fresh)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano (preferably 1 1/2 tsp. fresh)
2 large butternut squash, seeded and cut in half lengthwise
48 ounces vegetable or chicken stock (preferably low sodium)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly rub flesh of butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place flesh side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet and roast for about 35 minutes. Allow to cool enough to handle and peel skin and cut squash into 1 inch cubes. Heat soup pot. Add oil and butter. When melted add next 4 ingredients and cook until onions are translucent. Do not overcook or brown. Add stock, bring to a boil. Add squash and the 4 herbs, return to a boil and lower heat and simmer 30 minutes. Puree until smooth (can use a blender if needed working in batches, return to pot) Add maple syrup and bring back to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add half and half and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust thickness of soup if necessary by diluting with more stock or water or thickening with more half and half. Yields 8 servings.

this is delicious with crusty french bread on a cool fall day, one can always dream....


5 comments:

  1. I love fall! I found you via Sunday Baker's site. I also love to bake and cook and would spend my entire paycheck in a cooking store if I worked there too:-)

    Great blog! I'll be back.

    Rosie is too cute. My sister-in-law breeds Yorkie's and they are the sweetest dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try that delicious recipe! Another Fall lover...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Romi, I am so glad that you found me through Sunday Baker's site. I just love her blog!
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I am new to blogging, and still learning. Please come back by.

    Tanya, I'm glad you stopped by today. The cookies that you posted on your blog today look delicious, I already told a friend about them, and she wants me to bake them for her family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice, thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you had a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavens above. I'm starving now! I love that all of my blog friends are as antsy as I am for fall. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete