Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who Needs Pumpkin Pie...



When you can have these incredible Pumpkin Squares?
I have been hearing about these pumpkin squares for a couple of years now at the kitchen store. The owner of the store has been making them for many years for her family. Well... she shared the recipe, and I tried it out today. All I can say is I may never make pumpkin pie again! DELICIOUS! And they are so easy to make.

Pumpkin Squares
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 Tbsp. butter
Combine flour, rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in mixing bowl. Mix until crumbly using an electric mixer on low speed, or a pastry blender. Press in ungreased 13x9x2 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt and spices in a mixing bowl. Beat well. Pour into baked crust. Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Combine pecans, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over pumpkin filling. Return to oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is set. Cool in pan and cut in 2 inch squares.
Of course the next time I make these I am going to use egg beaters, and fat free evaporated milk. I'll let you know how they turn out.

9 comments:

  1. These sound excellent! I am going to make them this weekend (using fat free/splenda). Thanks for posting the recipe!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, those look good! I think I'll make some today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to pop back in here and tell you how fabulous this recipe is! Oh my goodness, much better than pumpkin pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look very good...I'm tired of making a plain pumpkin pie. I think this is the desert for Thanksgiving!! Thanks for the recipe.....Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blogged about these today ~ http://nancysrecipes.wordpress.com/2008/11/07/pumpkin-squares/ ~ using Splenda and FF evap milk and they came out GREAT! Thanks so muck for posting!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice, You are awesome and your blogg is addictiveiryndio

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry,
    My word verification got mixed in with my comments. I said your blog is addictive, creative and your recipes are GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pecans, brown sugar, butter, oats..Oh my, what's not to like!

    I'm going to print this recipe up and make it as soon as possible!

    It looks wonderful, and what a great idea to place your ingredients behind the finished product!
    Great photo!
    Thank You!
    Cindy H
    http://www.jbkpottery.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so have you tried the slimdown version yet? I want to try it, but only on your recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete