Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shortbread


This shortbread recipe comes from the owner of the kitchen store, Lorraine Hitchcock. It is one of the fabulous recipes in our cookbook. We have featured it in one of our classes, "gifts from your kitchen". It really is a good cookie recipe for your cookie platters. This shortbread is easy, uses only 4 ingredients, it keeps well, and it makes a lot. Did I mention it's the most delicious shortbread I have ever tasted???

SHORTBREAD

1 lb. unsalted butter, room temperature

4 cups all purpose flour

1 cup superfine sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Sift flour, sugar and salt over top of butter. Knead until mixture forms a smooth ball. Press into an ungreased 10x15 inch jelly-roll pan, and prick the dough with a fork. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven. Check the shortbread after 20 minutes (mine took about 30 minutes). You're looking for a very light golden brown. Cut while warm, and cool in the pan. Makes about 48.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alice...thanks for the recipe. Last year my friend gave me one of those clay shortbread pans with the designs.. Will this recipe work in something like that? I've been afraid to use it, I thought they might stick inside the mold...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, This recipe is specifically for a 10x15 pan. I think the dough would work, but depending on your pan size (usually the clay pans are smaller) I think you may end up with too much dough. You may get two batches out of it??? You also may need to adjust your baking time if using a smaller pan. But the dough itself should work fine in the clay pan, there is so much butter in this recipe I don't think you would have a problem with sticking.Let me know if you try it. I sent it with my husband to work this morning, and he said everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing..it sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this on my baking day. WOW! :)
    SJV

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tanya, thanks for stopping by.
    SJV, Isn't it incredible? Glad you made it, I have a feeling you have tried this before lol ;)

    ReplyDelete